About Me

My photo
I am 22 years old and having recently graduated from the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts I have decided to embark on the Workbased Learning Course at Middlesex University. I have been interested in performing since a very early age, participating in ballet lessons from the age of 5. As I got older my passion only grew stronger and at the age of 19 after completing 4 A-Levels i decieded to study performing arts full time and have never looked back. Spotlight Link: http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/063134220241 Skills include: · Advanced 2 modern ISTD · Advanced 1 Tap ISTD · Intermediate Ballet IDTA · Gold Jazz ISTD · Voice – Mezzo Soprano, Strong Belt · Accents – RP, Cockney, Standard American · Foundation Certificate in Stage Fighting · Competent Horse Rider · Grade 4 Violin ABRSM · Grade 4 Piano ABRSM · Full Driving Licence

Monday 3 January 2011

Task 2d - Inquiry:

I am enthusiastic about every aspect of performing, it is such a fast genre that there is always something else to learn. I particularly love the relationship between the performer and the audience and I find the ability for a performer to change the outlook of an audience member to be fascinating! Specifically I find comedy acting particularly inspiring. There is so much that goes into being a good comedy actor and I think it is a never ending learning curve that I wish to pursue for a long time.
In order to develop as an actress I need to keep up to date with the ever changing trends of the industry and it makes me angry that this is not always an option due to insufficient funds. I think that more support should be given to young people going into the performing arts industry by the government but instead they are taking it away. I think every young person trying to get a break in this industry will feel the financial strain, it is hard to hold down a job whilst auditioning as things come up to quickly and time off cant always be planned. This is why teaching can be a great way to earn some extra cash.
I love teaching and performing and I think that being able to impart your knowledge on to others is the most rewarding feeling. I think being in this profession, although uncertain at times, has a lot of positive aspects. I hate being stuck in one place, I get bored easily and I love meeting new people. I find although working on short contracts can be financially stressful it makes you more determined to be at the top of your game. There is no time to rest on your laurels, the next job is never guaranteed and although this is a scary prospect it is also an exciting one, as one door closes another is sure to open.
I really admire the actress Lynda Bellingham, she went to the same high school as me and I understand how difficult it is to study at an academic school when you are more artistic. She was also adopted at a young age and I think so often people use negative aspects from there past to justify wasting there life away. Lynda instead has looked on it as a positive thing and has worked hard to achieve outstanding things. Other actresses I admire include Dame Judi Dench and Jennifer Aniston. I think that Judi Dench’s ability to perform so brilliantly on both stage and television is remarkable. She knows how to work a camera and an audience and to get the same reaction from each. I admire her for being able to raise her daughter whilst remaining in the public eye. You can tell that acting is what she loves as even now when she cant possibly need the money she still continues to work.
Jennifer Aniston is both funny and intelligent, she knows how to keep a good public image even through the break-up of her marriage. She continues to produce excellent movies such as ‘The Break-Up’ and ‘ The Bounty Hunter’ but I think that ‘Friends’ really showed her to the best of her comic ability.
There is lots that I don’t understand, but I don’t think that this is necessarily a bad thing. It gives me the desire to continue learning and to continue to further develop as an artist. If you understood everything about your profession then it would no longer be exciting or worthwhile. I think one of the greatest inspirations I have had in my career was my acting improvisation teacher. An elderly gentleman he had seen the world and knew the industry back to front. He was never scared to say what he thought and always treated us students as young performers. He taught me to not be afraid of who you are and not to care what other people think of you. I really owe a lot to him and I feel so much more comfortable on stage thanks to him.
As I have previously stated I love to learn new things and I think this is how we continue to grow as people and performers. I cant pinpoint one event that has made me want to learn more about my industry as everything I experience inflicts such a feeling. Every show I take part in, every audition I go to makes me want to do more and I think that this course is helping me to understand how to make the most out of every opportunity I get.
Reading back over this I think a good line of enquiry to start with is how what people see on stage can effect them emotionally. If I can start to understand what it is that connects people to something that they know is not real then I think my skills as an actress will grow significantly.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jennifer_Aniston 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judi_Dench 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lynda_Bellingham

No comments:

Post a Comment