About Me

My photo
I am 22 years old and having recently graduated from the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts I have decided to embark on the Workbased Learning Course at Middlesex University. I have been interested in performing since a very early age, participating in ballet lessons from the age of 5. As I got older my passion only grew stronger and at the age of 19 after completing 4 A-Levels i decieded to study performing arts full time and have never looked back. Spotlight Link: http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/063134220241 Skills include: · Advanced 2 modern ISTD · Advanced 1 Tap ISTD · Intermediate Ballet IDTA · Gold Jazz ISTD · Voice – Mezzo Soprano, Strong Belt · Accents – RP, Cockney, Standard American · Foundation Certificate in Stage Fighting · Competent Horse Rider · Grade 4 Violin ABRSM · Grade 4 Piano ABRSM · Full Driving Licence

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Task 3c - Sources of Information

My 5 most important sources of information can all be sub-categorised under one term…
The Internet!E.g….

  • Google
  • Wikipedia
  • Youtube
  • Facebook
  • MSN
I use all of the above on near enough a daily basis and without them I believe my networking would be awful. I find the fact that they all use a web 2.0 structure to be the most useful way of gathering a well informed base of information. From allowing readers to also add their view on different subjects and images/videos they see, it gives you reason to question your own initial thoughts. The world isn’t black and white and it is so important not to look at it in such a way. Although sometimes I find I don’t agree with everything that has been posted, it doesn’t necessarily mean it hasn’t been worthwhile to read.
Obviously I am aware that there are other very valid sources of information out there, all of which have there place.
If I am looking for a monologue and wish to read the play first, even if its available online I would rather get the book from the library. This is just personal preference but I think many people will agree with me. Another example of this is music. I would rather have the book in my hand than downloading it off the internet. I find it helps to see it as whole when trying to learn its content. I also benefit from gathering information from magazines and newspapers I find them informative and easy to carry around if you are commuting or spend a lot of time waiting to be seen.
The television is a highly valuable source of information for any actor/actress but again many shows can be found on the internet. I find watching other people perform and seeing current trends that are being used very useful when it comes to auditioning. I like to imagine how a well known actress may perform such a role and then use this as a base for my own character.
Meeting with other like-minded people to discuss is also a good way of gathering information, as a performer I tend to be best at reflection-in-action. I can think on my feet so in a heated discussion I have valid points to back up my views. Some people may not have these skills but given time after to think about what was being said they could probably put together a very informative comeback. People like this who prefer reflection-on-action may rather use chat rooms or messaging services such as MSN. This is because they don’t have to post a reply straight away, they can take time to think about what they are trying to get across, which they couldn’t do in a heated personal discussion.
It is all down to the individual, but I find that using varied sources of information keeps it interesting and helps me to learn faster. Yes the internet is usually my first and main port of call, but this doesn’t mean it is the only one!

No comments:

Post a Comment