About Me

My photo
I am 22 years old and having recently graduated from the Italia Conti Academy of Theatre Arts I have decided to embark on the Workbased Learning Course at Middlesex University. I have been interested in performing since a very early age, participating in ballet lessons from the age of 5. As I got older my passion only grew stronger and at the age of 19 after completing 4 A-Levels i decieded to study performing arts full time and have never looked back. Spotlight Link: http://www.spotlight.com/interactive/cv/063134220241 Skills include: · Advanced 2 modern ISTD · Advanced 1 Tap ISTD · Intermediate Ballet IDTA · Gold Jazz ISTD · Voice – Mezzo Soprano, Strong Belt · Accents – RP, Cockney, Standard American · Foundation Certificate in Stage Fighting · Competent Horse Rider · Grade 4 Violin ABRSM · Grade 4 Piano ABRSM · Full Driving Licence

Wednesday 5 January 2011

Task 3b - Theories Relating to Networking

There are many theories relating to networking that I have discovered over the past few months, most of which I had never even heard of before embarking on this course.
Altman’s ‘Privacy Regulation’ Theory is one which I believe helps a lot in the understanding of why some people are more interested in Professional Networking than others. I think it links in well with the theory of ‘Affiliation’. Each person has a different level of desired contact at any given time. If for example you meet a person for the first time who has been in a crowded environment for most of the day and has had their affiliation needs met, they may not be willing to take the time to get to know you. Their need for privacy will have kicked in and they will find anything you do or say to be a hindrance. In such a case it is important to remember that should you meet the same person again at a different time their attitude towards you may be completely different. This is why I have found that it is always important to chase up your leads. Say for example you had been given a number for a potential casting contact. If you can’t get through at first it may simply be because the person is not in the mood to talk. Obviously to continue calling them that night would be inappropriate, but calling back the next day could often work in your favour.
Social Constructionism is something that also may help me develop my professional networking in the future. It is true that not everybody sees the world in the same way and therefore will have different views and opinions. If we do indeed construct meaning through experiences and not just based on what we have been told then professional networking can be extremely hard. Take having a bad experience with a bicycle as a child. When (as an adult) somebody suggests riding one to work you will have an adverse reaction, the word is automatically linked in your brain to the bad experience you have previously encountered, no matter how long ago it was. It is important when trying to establish a good professional network that we take social constructionism into consideration. Don’t automatically assume that your interpretation of something is going to be the same as that of the person next to you. Listening to what other people have to say will only make your knowledge of that subject grow.
I find the theory of objectivism to be somewhat narrow-minded. It may simply be that my interpretation of the concept is not correct, but I don’t see how an object can have meaning without somebody first associating it with that meaning through experience. I think in the ever-growing world we live in, with access to information so readily available people must surly question this theories validity.
The Theory that knowledge can be ‘half life’ on the other hand is something I find very modern. With everything progressing so fast, it is inevitable that information will change - things we previously believed to be true e.g. the world is flat… are eventually proven to be incorrect. It is important when creating a professional network that you know about the current 'hot topics' for your industry. I now understand that if you don’t do your research regularly you are likely to look a fool. At the end of the day it is true that you are only cheating yourself when you don’t do work you know you will benefit from.

1 comment:

  1. The feeling I got when reading this blog was that you perhaps felt as I did when I left Conti. That was a feeling of being cut a drift in the entertainment industry with very little in the way of support behind me.

    At Conti we had our own year group, Conti staff, agency support and occasional contacts with outside contacts such as casting directors, choreographers and producers.

    Now I find that to keep up with my performing skills I have to pay for teachers (expensive and difficult to find) I do not see my year group other than occasionally and although I did get an agent they are remotely located to Worcester where I am living so not easy to pop into to talk to. Building up a useful set of networks is therefore of curtail importance to my career development. If I had not started this BAPP course I would not have appreciated that so fully. Nore would I have used the techniques that I am learning in order to structure my networks and the other approaches we are being taught.

    I am not yet sufficiently familiar with the people in my term group to know wether they will provide me with a long term network. But I am building up a working relationship with one or two individuals in my term even though we have not met face to face.

    I have read your posts as part of my task 3D and was interested to read your comments about your own experience of networking. I hope I have not misinterpreted what you have written.

    ReplyDelete